With the Self Assessment deadline approaching, make sure you have your tax returns ready and filled in by 31 January.
Otherwise, you might need to make up an excuse just like the ones on the list of creative excuses people have given for late submissions of their return, posted by the HMRC:
10. “The postman doesn’t deliver to my house.”
9. “My internet connection failed.”
8. “My husband told me the deadline was 31 March.”
7. “My colleague borrowed my tax return to photocopy it and lost it.”
6. “My child scribbled all over the return so I wasn’t able to send it back.”
5. “I couldn’t complete my return because my husband left me and took our accountant with him.”
4. “My dog ate my tax return … and all of the reminders.”
3. “My wife helps me with my return, but she had a headache for ten days.”
2. “A wasp in my car caused me to have an accident and my return which was inside was destroyed.”
1. “My tax return was on my yacht, which caught fire.”
So, in order to avoid being in this years top ten list, download the 1tap receipts app and solve all your Self Assessment problems in no time!